Ever since Michelle Obama initiated the “Let’s Move” campaign to encourage kids to lead healthier lifestyles from youth, there has been a focused awareness on the childhood obesity epidemic. The reality is that there is a problem with obesity in our society, and the idea of teaching kids from the very beginning about healthier lifestyles is always a step in the right direction.
We can play the blame game for obesity. It’s television, video games, and cell phones for making people lazy, or it’s soft drinks and fast food, or it’s GMOs, hydrogenated oils, trans fats, the list goes on. It’s a combination of all of these factors, and the general change in American lifestyle. In any circumstance, the point is to make a change, and Halloween is a great place to start!
Not to mention how many food allergies are currently present amongst young people. According to CNN: “It seems like more and more children in the U.S. are developing food allergies, and there’s data to back that up. The number of kids with food allergies went up 18 percent from 1997 to 2007, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About 3 million children younger than 18 had a food or digestive allergy in 2007, the CDC said.”
In an effort to promote healthier living, these are some ideas for better treats you can offer trick-or-treaters on Halloween. They’re going to get plenty of candy anyway, why not be the better neighbor; as the old adage states: “It takes a village.”
- Lip Moisturizer! Everyone loves natural lip moisturizer, and it’s a fun treat that will last much longer than one time*. (If you’re interested in working with us for larger quantities, contact us for a quantity discount. These are especially awesome for older trick-or-treaters.)
- Travel Size Lotion Bars! Give the fun little gift of a moisturizer (even if the kids pass it up, Mom or Dad will end up with an awesome treat)*. (Especially awesome for older trick-or-treaters.)
- Bouncy Balls! Every kid loves bouncy balls because there are numerous amounts of games you can play with one ball, and every kid loses these constantly, so you can never have too many.
- Bath Bombs! These are especially fun for older kids (or under parental supervision), but they’re such a craze right now, any kid would LOVE to have them!*
- Novelty Stretchable Zoo Animals! These fun little stretch toys can be wrapped around school bags or bed posts, so kids can carry their fun everywhere.
- Stamps! Every kid loves stamps! EncoA great way to support creativity and imagination.
- Water Jelly Growing Sea Creatures! These fun little guys inspire sensory activity and demonstrate the science of sponges.
- Plastic Puzzle Balls! Cute and encourages thinking, the plastic puzzle balls will promote fun and intellect.
- Emoji Jumping Toys! Fun and interactive, these jumping toys are sure to bring on the laughs.
- Crayons! Inspire artistic ability and innovation with crayons, plus you can never have too many.
- Novelty Assortment! Want to give a variety of fun, check out this full pack of different toys to bring joy.
*As a special precaution, remember to always offer sealed packages of anything you distribute. Make sure there are clear and legible ingredients, so parents and guardians can scrutinize for individual safety. Also, as much as you may like to offer home-baked items, please don’t distribute it on Halloween, to ensure the safety and liability of everyone involved.
Have any other great ideas for Halloween treats? Share in the comments!