Doing good and being conscientious about the world around you can be very intimidating. We all want to make our planet a better place, but sometimes time and funds get in the way of our charitable hearts. If you find yourself stuck, here’s a list of a few ways you could do good tomorrow.
- Smile at strangers! Seems simple, and maybe strange (depending upon what geographical region you’re from), but something as simple as a smile has been known to change the way people view the rest of their day (and maybe even save their lives).
- Recycle your plastics, glass, and paper. It’s very easy to just throw things in the trash, but tomorrow, be aware of recycling, even if you have to carry that bottle an extra block or two until you find a recycling receptacle.
- The next item you purchase, make it from a company who donates a portion of their proceeds. You can find joy in your new item, and joy that you’re doing good in such an easy way!
- Post a joyful, personal message to a friend on social media. A little personal touch makes a great deal of meaning in a world lost by mass messages.
- Write a positive review for a small business. Small businesses are usually personal, run by people just like you, and a positive review about something you loved (a product or customer service), can make a huge difference in how they run their business.
- Pack up your unused clothes and/or food and call a local charity to come pick it up. Takes a little more work, but it’s really easy! You can even schedule for some charities, such as the Vietnam War Veterans of America, to pick up right online.
- Give your spare change from your coffee purchase as a tip to your barista!
- Thank one of your co-workers or supervisors for something they did that either went unnoticed, or deserving of a little extra praise. Be grateful!
- Reuse your plastic bags. We get bags from all of our shopping (especially grocery shopping), reuse them as small trash bags, for packaging protection, or to bring your lunch in to work.
- Don’t forget yourself! Unplug yourself for an hour and just watch some TV, light a candle and read a fantastic book, or take a warm bath. You deserve to love yourself, too!
A series of small steps creates a huge leap; what are some ideas you have for making the world a little better?